Updates: We occasionally update these publications, so if you rely on the data for more than simple informational purposes, we recommend that you check back periodically for updates.
Format: The files for both publications are in standard HTML format. They have been compressed in .Zip format for ease of distribution.
Created with: The files were created with WinZip®, but any program that supports the .Zip format may be used to uncompress them.
To unzip (uncompress) the files:
- Create a file folder or directory on your computer's hard drive or on a peripheral storage device in which to store each publication downloaded.
- Download the desired file or files listed below to the location of your choice.
- Unzip the file or files you downloaded into the folder or directory you created for storing the publication.
- Do not unzip any file into a folder or directory other than the one you created. The process of unzipping the files will create subfolders or subdirectories required for the publication to be usable on your computer. If you unzip files into these subfolders or subdirectories, parts or all of the publication may not work.
Virus check: All files were checked with up-to-date commercial virus detection software prior to posting and, to the best of our ability to determine, were free of known viruses at the time they were posted.
How to use the publication: The files named index.htm and index.html open the publication's home page. Navigate to the index file in the folder or directory you created using a file manager, such as Windows Explorer, then double-click it to open and begin using the publication.
The World Factbook search feature: Please note that the downloaded World Factbook functions as a stand-alone publication on your computer with the exception that clicking the Search link will cause your browser to attempt to connect to the CIA's Web site. The search software resides on our server and cannot be distributed with the World Factbook.
The World FactbookThe World Factbook requires about 137 megabytes of disk space for the .Zip files and about 952 megabytes of disk space for the publication once it's unzipped.
I. Single .Zip file for high-bandwidth users: (240.0MB)
- Download the file and unzip it file into the folder or directory you created.
- After unzipping this file, use a file manager to navigate to the folder or directory. To begin using The World Factbook, find and double-click the index file (there are two index files--both work equally well).
II. Two-file .Zip set for high-bandwidth users:
- After downloading the two files listed below, unzip them both into the folder or directory you've created for the Factbook.
- factbooka.zip (32.1MB) contains the complete Factbook except the PDF-format reference maps. With just these files, the Factbook is completely functional with the sole exception that the PDF map links on the Reference Maps page will not work.
- factbookb.zip (208.4MB) contains only the 15 PDF-format reference maps.
- After unzipping the files, use a file manager to navigate to the folder or directory you created. To begin using The World Factbook, find and double-click the index file (there are two index files--both work equally well).
III. Multi-file set for low-bandwidth users: After downloading the files listed below, unzip each of them into to the folder or directory you've created for the Factbook. Do not unzip any of them into the subfolders or subdirectories created during the unzipping process.
Note that the first 18 Zip files will create a fully-functional version of the Factbook with the sole exception that the links to the PDF-format maps on the Reference Maps page will not work.
- appendix.zip (363.8KB)
- docs.zip (600.5KB)
- fields.zip (6.3MB)
- flags.zip (591.0KB)
- flash.zip (156.3KB)
- geos.zip (14.5MB)
- index.zip (18.2KB)
- covers.zip (28.8MB)
- ref-maps.zip (28.3MB)
- region.zip (52.3KB)
- scripts.zip (173.7KB)
- wfbExt.zip (1.9MB)
Reference Maps (PDF*):
- africa.zip (1.2MB)
- central-america.zip (580.1KB)
- central-balkans.zip (858.0KB)
- europe.zip (526.4KB)
- middle-east.zip (964.0KB)
- north-america.zip (596.4KB)
- political-world.zip (1.4MB)
- south-america.zip (419.9KB)
- southeast-asia.zip (995.7KB)
- united-states.zip (281.0KB)
After unzipping these files, use a file manager to navigate to that folder or directory. To begin using The World Factbook, find and double-click the index file (there are two index files--both work equally well).
While they cannot be browsed on this Web site, these previous editions of The World Factbook are available for download: